Reveals Critical Role of Food & Ag Sectors
By: NAWG’s Texas A&M 2019 Spring Intern Megan Myers
America’s food and agriculture sectors account for roughly one-fifth of the country’s economic activity, providing more than 22 million jobs or nearly 15% of US employment, according to an updated Food and Agriculture Industries Economic Impact Study. The study was originally launched in 2017 and commissioned by 23 food and agriculture organizations, including the National Association of Wheat Growers (NAWG). On March 19, 2019, it was re-released with updated facts and a new, more interactive webpage.
This study provides information for consumers and producers to see their connection to agriculture. It also reveals the role of food and agriculture sectors in promoting the economy on a global scale.
Among the most important findings of the report, it was found that the food and agriculture sectors have created 45,582,086 jobs, $2.06 trillion in wages, $913.13 billion in taxes, $154.4 billion in exports, and has had an overall economic impact of $7.06 trillion.
Sponsoring Organizations include:
- American Bakers Association
- American Beverage Association
- American Farm Bureau Federation
- American Frozen Food Institute
- American Soybean Association
- Biotechnology Innovation Organization
- Corn Refiners Association
- Grocery Manufacturers Association
- Food Marketing Institute
- North American Meat Institute
- National Association of State Departments of Agriculture
- National Association of Wheat Growers
- National Chicken Council
- National Confectioners Association
- National Corn Growers Association
- National Grocers Association
- North American Millers Association
- National Automatic Merchandising Association
- National Restaurant Association
- SNAC International
- The Fertilizer Institute
- The Sugar Association
- United Fresh Produce Association
For more information and to read the report in its entirety, visit https://feedingtheeconomy.com/!